Friday, October 12, 2012

Chetwode Motto: Back to Basics

LEST WE FORGET OUR MEN
An Officer’s responsibility towards his Men does NOT end with his retirement; it is a lifelong commitment.
We, Officers, owe it to our Men; for having had the honour & privilege of leading them, while in service.

Lunch with Ex-Servicemen on Tuesday, 2 Oct 2012
1. With a view to reach out to Ex-Servicemen at Bangalore, I had most cordially invited a few Ex-Servicemen for lunch at my place on 2 Oct 2008. And it was gratifying that 11 Ex-Servicemen came over, couple of them with their spouses. 2. On arrival, the Ex-Servicemen mentioned, “Saab, hame retire hokar 10 saal ya 15 saal ho gaya. Hamaare puraane saab log kabhi kabhi CSD canteen me milthe hain. Thodaa saa Hello, Hello baath- cheeth hothaa hai. Bus uthnaa hi. Yeh pahli baar hai ki, ek Afsar saahibaanne, hame apne ghar me khaane ke liye bulaayaa hai”. I could see that the Ex-Servicemen were profoundly touched by my simple gesture of inviting them for lunch at my place. And so was I touched. And that day, I decided that, as long as I live, 2 Oct every year shall be the day when Ex-Servicemen shall be cordially invited to join me for lunch at my place.
3. On 2 Oct 2009, 17 Ex-Servicemen, a few of them with their families were gracious to join me for lunch at my place.
4. On 2 Oct 2010, over 100 Veteran Officers of the Army, Navy & Air Force joined hands and hosted a lunch for approximately 400 Ex-Servicemen, their families and Defence Family Pensioners. It was gratifying to see a galaxy of Generals, Admirals & Air Marshals present as hosts and talking to Ex-Servicemen, their families and Defence Family pensioners. A large number of Ex-Servicemen and Veteran Officers recalled their days together, with nostalgia.
5. Unfortunately, on account of my ill-health and personal commitments, I could not organize hosting of a station lunch for Ex-Servicemen on 2 Oct 2011 and 2 Oct 2012. All the same, lunch for Ex-Servicemen was hosted by me at my place on 2 Oct 2011 and on 2 Oct 2012.
6. Point for kind consideration by Veteran Officers. I suggest that 2 Oct every year should be a day when Veteran Officers host lunch for Ex-Servicemen, their families & Defence Family Pensioners, either individually at their place or collectively at a central location in all stations. The local mil Fmn Cdr or Station Cdr may be invited for Lunch. A small gesture as hosting of a lunch for Ex-Servicemen by Veteran Officers on 2 Oct every year would go a long way in strengthening the bonds of kinship, brotherhood & camaraderie amongst the Ex-Servicemen fraternity.
Regards,
Col Shaitan Singh Rajan of Jikargacha

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources