Monday, January 24, 2011

Homage and Tributes to Lt Gen RIS Kahlon



I attended the cremation of Gen RIS Kahlon on 18 Jan 11. Including the presence of a Former Naval Chief a Former COAS, it was a mamoth gathering of military veterans and civilians. A very large number of serving senior serving officers of all three services were also present.
Col ARS Kahlon, son of Gen Kahlon lit the pyre.
Some tributes of Gen Kahlon, which I received are reproduced below.
I had also taken some photographs at the cremation site. 19 selected photographs are being circulated. As the total size is of files too large, I am sending these photos attached with three different emails.
Chander Kamboj

I met Kahlon first time when I was promoted as Maj Gen and took over Director Armament and went to call on him as MGO in his office in the S/Block. Apart from various issues of concern which we discussed in the meeting, he told me that his son was a major in Armoured Corps and he said that the young lad doesn't know whether he should be inside or outside the tank. Obviously, looking at my face the expression of question mark as to what he was talking about, after a brief pause, addressing me by my first name Ashok which he probably read from my name tab, he said that he was refering to the problem of bursting of large number of barrells of T-72 Gun resulting in fatal casualties and requesting my personal attention for resolution of the problem.

This shows his excellent method of putting accross the point in such a manner that I remember him vividly even today after more than 15 years. Needless to say that I took up the issue seriously and the issue was resolved involving the Russions, DRDO, OFB, veh factory at Avadi, Gun Carriage Factory Kanpur and of course the AHQ. The Russian team stayed in India for three weeks, went around Armed Corps units, DRDO Labs and Gun factory at Kanpur and we had many meetings.

During the course of my tenure as Dir Armt, I used to be meeting Kahlon frequently and I always found him forthright, forceful and absolutely clear in his expression. Except for a brief meeting once when I bumbed into him in one of the exhibition about three years ago, last time I met him was in the year 1997-98. When I was DGQA and he had invited me for dinner in Hotel Continental in Delhi. Lt Gen RIS Kahlon a dynamic leader with helping attitude will be remebered by one and all who came into his contact.
Lt Gen(Retd) Ashok Agarwal, PVSM
Imdt Past President
Institution of Electronics &Telecommunication Engineers

Thank you Col Raman for the tributes paid to RISKY.
Yes I remember him as a genial, practical soldier who handled the tricky appointment of Jaffna Town Commandant in a crucial phase of our war against the LTTE. Ever smiling he had a great compassion for the ordinary people affected by the war and took enormous risk in making continuous effort to put some sense to the people on the utter futility of fighting Indian army. I am sure many in Jaffna now will remember his acts of compassion and consideration. He took enormous risks fitting with his nickname by having nothing but CRP for protection (that too smart Mahila company who would present arms to us); LTTE knew his good work and my contacts told me they would not target him.

Personally I have lost a friend. About two years back I met him in Delhi when CENJOWS called for a conference in which both he and I spoke (after two decades) on what really happened to the IPKF in our respective areas. He looked as fit as ever. I never imagined his life would be cut short so soon. My salute to him. May his soul RIP.
Col R Hariharan

Dear Veterans,
My memory takes me to the period of end 1987 to 1988, when Lt Gen RIS Khalon, then Brigadier, took over as Town commandant, Jaffna. My very first meeting with him was in the Palali Air field. He was called up from the NDC, even before he could complete his course, which shows the calibre of the Officer, who enjoyed the complete trust of the then COAS, to take over the tricky assignment of Town Commandant Jaffna, with all its LTTE problems. He used to be on the TV frequently, to answer tricky questions by the Tamil Press. He could handle all the Militant groups (the friendly ones). But LTTE was a different kettle of fish. He took the initiative in releasing the LTTE spokesman, Kittu & handing him over to the Citizens Committee of Jaffna, to the utter dismay & discomfiture of Kittu himself, since he felt more safer with the IPKF.

For all his talents & leadership qualities, he was most unassuming. He could enter into a friendly dialogue even with a stranger, which was the corner stone of his success as the Town Commandant Jaffna. The citizens had more faith in him than they had with the Govt of India. My dear friend Col N Viswanathan, was fortunate to serve under him as the Deputy Town Commandant, Jaffna. Another friend, Col Hariharan also had close interaction with him during that period.

We all salute his memory. Our condolences to Mrs Gikki Kahlon. Dear 'Risky Kahlon', we will always remember you.
With Deep Sorrow,
Col ( Retd) TN Raman

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources