1. The long-pending acquisition of military hardware will be expedited through absolutely transparent means in a time-bound manner.
2. Budget allocations for defense forces will be spent without being allowed to lapse. The criminal negligence of the defense forces by the UPA Government has resulted in nearly Rs 24,000 crore by way of budgetary allocations being allowed to lapse over five years. This not only endangers the lives of our soldiers but also the security of the nation.
3. Our forces are performing a service to the nation and deserve better pay and privileges.
Towards this end, the BJP is committed to the following measures:
4. The present shortage of defence personnel at all levels will be met by making the Services an attractive career option. This would include competitive pay and privileges, and pension benefits. This task will be completed in a time-bound manner.
5. The capacities of Defence Research and Development Organisation will be enhanced. The PPP route will be explored for conventional defence production bearing in mind the nation’s needs and to make India a competitive player in the global market by 2020.
Comment: If BJP manifesto is sincere and not a vote bank gimmick it is bound to win the elections. If it is a vote catching gimmick it will surely lose. The Defence Forces today need to be addressed in all angles to ensure security of the Nation.