Thursday, June 25, 2009

Romance of Photography: Digital Divide

Long back in 1958 with my first face to face with my future wife, the ice, during the first awkward moments between the two strangers, was broken with my handing over one black and white print after another, from my collection, to her. Each photo as it passed hands, the hands, at time, touching inadvertently, introduced the family and me to her, in pictures and in steps, one at a time. Each print, exchanged bringing us one step closer with her finally becoming my stand-in model.
Brig Lakshman Singh

Dear Lakshman,
What a wonderful expression of your romantic sentiments. You triggered my own moments with Veera in the early years which culminated in our marriage in 1956. (You remember that we had celebrated our Golden Anniversary worldwide in 2006, especially in New Delhi and Lucknow.) But the romance has not ended. It must continue despite the enforced changes due to the "progress" of mankind. You and I are partially responsible for these changes which are excellent in some respects, and not so in other. But C' est la vie! If I expound on this subject, I shall need to write another book.

Speaking of the book, I hope that you have enjoyed reading my book as well as the "Summary". I shall certainly look forward to receiving your book when Ashok comes here next month. Why don't you come along with him too? We shall have BBQs, wine, and fresh fruits from my garden.

Going back to the romance of photography, Kodak just announced that they will stop manufacturing their Kodachrome film later this year. There goes another nail in the coffin of the romantic photography. However, FYI (and as Ashok has known) I am still hanging on to my old Olympus film camera and using it for shooting all types of events all over the world. All my children and grandchildren own digital cameras except for me. Sooner or later I shall have to give in and get a suitable but simple to use digital camera. I shall try to discover my own finesse of romance of using it. Let us face it, romance is embedded in every human being's psyche. How to exploit it for progeny and pleasure is usually a personal attribute and secret!
Keep up the romance all the time, all of you!
Arjun Saxena

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources