Thursday, June 11, 2009

Passing the Baton

Dear Friends,
In a few days, I will turn 68. Admiral Tahiliani, whose word I value, tells me that this is no age. But it is just two short of the "three scores and ten" prescribed by the holy Bible for us human beings. I also find that nearly one-third of my course mates are gone. In the last few months two of my contemporaries dropped like the ripe mangoes on the tree in the backyard of our house, without any notice at all. Even this would have made no difference to me, but an event occurred last week. It shook me.
I had gone to the dentist for some fillings. The waiting room was full, with no vacant seat. As I entered, I noticed a lady who resembled the mother of an officer who was my adjutant thirty years ago. While I was trying to place her, she got up and said, "Uncle, how are you?" And that was a body blow to my ego. Soon, some more people got up to make space for me. I got a chair to sit down, but my tooth ache turned into a heart ache. How I wish the Admiral was there to see my plight!
On my way back, I picked up a few books on "how to make your own Will" and within the next three days, I had learnt all that there is to know on this business of 'passing the baton'.
I then jotted down the points in the form of a paper which is attached for the benefit of those who may like to browse through it. It has been seen by three lawyers, including Maj Navdeep, and I have it on their authority that the paper has no technical errors. I plan to include it in a forthcoming book, and should you have any additional questions, do let me know.
With best wishes,
Maj Gen Surjit Singh (Retd)
Guide for making a Will

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources