Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The bugle call for Ex- Servicemen to unite

My dear General,

Please accept salutations from a person who smelt mother earth on 18th Sep 1919.

I was born in the Corps of Signals on 5th Oct 1942 from where I moved to Vanaprastha in Oct 1968. You may probably recall that I got an Indian Oil Petrol pump, on Sardar Patel Marg, allotted in the open category, against stiff local opposition and this was inaugurated by Field Marshal SHFJ Manekshaw in July 1969.

I used to be on the governing body of IESL in the days of Field Marshal KM Cariappa. I even represented IESL in a world conference held in Australia in 1979. At that time and even before, I used to insist that the cost of such visits should be borne by the individuals enjoying the respect associated with participation in such international events. Based on this view, I did not let IESL pay for my trip to Australia. The entire expenditure was borne by me. I was probably the first and the last one to do, what was termed by my colleagues in the Governing body of IESL as the most foolish act. Those were days when righteous conduct was the distinguishing feature of an officer.

Later things started going wrong. I felt I could not fit into the team which had some personal ambitions also on the agenda. I then quit that organization. Now, the battle for getting back the privileges that rightly belonged to the Defence Services from the days of Chandra Gupta Maurya are hotting up. At this stage I feel that it is my duty to put in my bit. I would therefore be happy if I am taken into one of the bodies involved in this great task. Even when I am at the fag end of 89 years of age, my spirit of the defence camaraderie is strong.

I have a small personal secretariat. I feel that letters in different languages, along with a copy of the advice by Kautilya to Chandra Gupta Maurya, should be sent by Email, to MPs, Rajya Sabha Members and state Vidhan Sabha Members (Publications showing their names, addresses, Email ID, telephone numbers and party affiliation are available on sale at Govt book shops). The same should be sent to secretaries of Central and State Governments and District Collectors/ DCs/ State and District Police Officials, News papers in English/ vernacular languages and all political parties- National as well as Regional- all over India. This list can be enlarged as we go along. Such a forwarding letter should be a warning to these law makers and their vassals that there is danger lurking around and even our independence is at risk. My writing may be a ball of fire and someone will have to cool it down a bit before moving it to the launching pad.

Do I have a role to play and if so, what will it be ?.

With best wishes and regards,
Your comrade in arms
Col MS Krishnamoorthy (Retd)
Corps of Signals Veteran

Copy of text message addressed to Lt Gen Raj Kadyan (Retd) on 09 Jun 2008 is reproduced above. I have seen a large number of emails most of them expressing very valid and balanced views, be it from a hawk or a dove. I will send out my consolidated reactions in a day or two, realizing full well, that at this stage, they are unsolicited.

My humble opinion is one demonstration, in a large number of cities, on one day ,at an appointed time, on a bugle call will be a negation of our aim. If we do this, it will mean a one day single item news. This may be read or even pass unnoticed. To be effective, our demonstration approaches should be phased in different states and even in different districts so that it will act as continuous agitation story. As one who understands the modus operandi of the media and the effect of media exposure, my advice is that we must demonstrate to the authorities that it is continuous simmering and not like the effervescing soda water, which lasts only for a few minutes after the bottle is opened.

My other suggestion is that Kautilya's address to his monarch Chandra Gupta should be in the hands of as many politicians and bureaucrats as possible. Armed Forces Memorandum: Letter from Kautilya to Emperor Chandragupta Maurya. This will be an indirect warning to them that if they do not read the writing on the wall now, they may not have a free India to be led by them in their joint operation of making themselves and their off springs for generations, rich with no necessity to exert. The 5th paragraph of my letter above, I submit, is worth reading. The powers that we must clearly understand we do not have one single neighbour who can be called a friend in need. In fact, all of them are jealous of our growing international stature and are inimical either openly or covertly.

I give below 2 quotes extracted from a speech by our former President, scientist doctor APJ Abdul Kalam. If the contents of these two quotes would be the guiding factors for the Ex-servicemen force that will be fighting for restoration of dignity to the members of the defence services, success will surely be ours.

Righteousness

Where there is righteousness in the heart
There is beauty in the character.
When there is beauty in the character,
There is harmony in the home.
When there is harmony in the home.
There is order in the nation.
When there is order in the nation,
There is peace in the world.

It is a beautiful connectivity between heart, character, nation and the world. In a society we have to build righteousness among all its constituents. For the society as a whole to be righteous we need creation of righteousness in family, righteousness in education, righteousness in service, righteousness in career, righteousness in business & industry, righteousness in civil administration, righteousness in politics, righteousness in government, righteousness in law and order, righteousness in justice.

MY PRAYER FOR PEACE

Oh Almighty, create thoughts and actions
In the minds of the people of my nation
So that they live united.
Oh Almighty, bless my people
A path of life with righteousness
As righteousness gives the strength of character.
Help all religious leaders of my country to
Give strength to the people to combat the divisive forces.
Guide my people to develop an attitude to appreciate different
Ideologies and transform enmity among individuals,
Organizations and nations, into friendliness and harmony.
Oh almighty, terrorism is a curse to the humanity
And the people who remove innocent lives indeed are insane
Let the pain of the people transform the cruel minds.
Oh God, bless my people to work with perseverance to
Transform the country into a peaceful and prosperous nation.

Your comrade in arms,
Col MS Krishnamoorthy (Retd)
Corps of signals Veteran

Armed Forces Memorandum: Letter from Kautilya to Emperor Chandragupta Maurya

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources